12/11/08

My Uncle Jack


I remember as a kid being envious of Uncle Jack's family - It seemed like they had so much fun... The kids were mischievous and laughing all the time. They could turn anything into a fun time! Even though I'm sure Jack and Alice had trials and tribulations with each, somehow when you were with them that never came through. They were just a fun loving family.

I remember my cousin(Darla)getting caught by a blizzard in Fargo, trying to get to my Grandma Gerdon's farm for Christmas. She called my Mom all upset that she wouldn't make it for Christmas, scared, in a bus station alone.. My mom told her to call Jack. She called (not every having met him or his family before)and the boys came to get her at the bus station on snowmobiles in the middle of a snowstorm - she said she had so much fun staying with them... Laughing and joking the whole time she was there - They took her in as family.

Jack had a quick smile that lit up his face... making his eyes disappear into slits.. and a laugh that made you think he was up to something.. (and he usually was!) His sense of humor and quick wit is passed on to his children - it's a part of Jack that will carry on.

I know that we will all miss him but there are many stories that we will share about all the mischief that Jack was famous for throughout his life. These memories will keep Jack in our hearts. I am thankful that I can say he was my Uncle, and that made us family.

No comments: