9/14/08

Don't roll your eyes at me!


Remember when Mom used to say " don't you roll your little eyes at me "?

The dreaded 'eye roll.' You know, when you cast your eyes up and away in silent response to a comment, question, or statement. It is more common than you would think in everyday communications and has a disastrous results on any relationship. It is particularly subtle, yet oh so powerful. Like most of our body language habits.

Although many have commented on the destructive eye roll in personal relationships, I think this is one of the most common and destructive uses of negative body language in history! It is probably one of the most effective and yet cruelest ways to say "You're full of it," or " What your saying doesn't matter to me," and not think you're saying anything. Yet it is so common we have all probably done it, unconsciously, a few times already today.

Well, in the last few weeks of college I have seen this alot. Teachers, students, faculty, administration.... Unbelievably rude. That's all that can be said. I have always been told that only a question unasked is dumb. Yet I feel as if I am intruding on people's time by asking for assistance or guidance. Can people really be so busy that a simple question is too much time taken from them?

We have been called the hand holding bunch, the older than average students from the state funding group.
I beg to differ.. We would be happy not to be in this situation. But the company we worked for sent those jobs to Mexico and it is no fault of ours that we now need to re-educate ourselves to re-enter the workforce to get a job that paid comparable to the one we lost.
Lost not left...

I will end with saying that a majority of the college experience has been good and people are generally helpful... but if you have a few bad experiences they seem to overshadow everything that was good before that.. I am hoping that I will have something good happen this week to overshadow the incident of last week...

No comments: